One Year Ago
• The Delphos Kiwanis Club held a meeting Oct. 5 at the Delphos Eagles to install new officers for the upcoming. Dennis Elwer presented officers pins to incoming President Howard Violet, Vice President Jamey Wisher, Treasurer Cindy Metzger and Secretary Janet Metzger.
25 Years Ago — 1987
• Delphos Republican Club annual dinner was held Monday at Jefferson Senior High School. More than 80 heard main speaker, Robert A. Taft II, explain changes he feels are important for Ohio. Taft’s father and grandfather, Robert A. Taft were United States Senators from Ohio. His great-grandfather, William Howard Taft, was the only person to serve as president of the United States and as chief justice of the United States Supreme Court.
• More than 35 members were present for the monthly meeting of the Rosary-Altar Society of the Ottoville Immaculate Conception Catholic Church. The session was conducted by President-elect Marilyn Calvelage. Lunch of cookies and coffee were served by Jane Schweller, Anna Odenweller, Julie Landin, Ruth Ricker and Stella Buettner.
• The Ottawa River Church of Christ in Rimer, will hold its homecoming Oct. 25. The homecoming will be combined with a 90th birthday celebration and retirement program for the Rev. Norman Greenawalt. Rev. Greenawalt has been a minister 62 years and served at Ottawa River Church 20 years.
50 Years Ago — 1962
• The Elida Garden Club held its first regular meeting of the year Tuesday at Vogt’s Restaurant. Mrs. Richard Keiswetter was officially installed as the new vice president. Other officers are president, Mrs. Earl Dienstberger; recording secretary, Mrs. William Strayer; corresponding secretary, Mrs. Nolan Mosier; and treasurer, Mrs. Howard Leis.
• The New York Yankees won the World Series, 1-0, but the vanquished San Francisco Giants won the hearts of baseball fans the world over. They finally bowed to those mighty Yankees, who are long accustomed to winning, but midnight did not toll for this Cinderella team until it went as far as baseball law allows.
• Mrs. Bert Redmon was elected leader of the Rebecca Circle of the First United Presbyterian Church at a meeting of the circle held Monday evening in the home of Mrs. Oliver Lundgren. Mrs. Burnell Bowersock announced that a fresh shipment of pecans have arrived and will be on sale by all circle members.
75 Years Ago — 1937
• The first annual corn husking contest and colt show, sponsored by the Allen County granges, was a great success. First place winner in the standing corn husking contest was George Greenway of Columbus Grove. First place winner in shock corn husking was Jesse Shaw of Lima. First place winner in the colt show was Grover Bishop of Elida, and first place in filly class was August Kramer of Delphos.
• The Delphos Merchants are scheduled to play baseball against the Ottoville Merchants Sunday afternoon at the city athletic field. Ditto will probably be on the mound for Delphos and Mericle will be on the receiving end. Manager Sterling states the game will be played according to schedule providing it does not snow.
• Mrs. John Bryan entertained the members of the 1917 Sewing Club at her home on Harding Highway Friday afternoon. Mrs. Roy Fethers presented a reading. In a contest, the high honors were awarded Mrs. Bert Metcalfe and second honors went to Mrs. Philip Walther. The club members will hold their annual Halloween party at the home of Cora Leininger, West Third Street, Oct. 28.