August 28, 2014

Subscriber Login



Window to the Past - Lincolnway improvement PDF Print E-mail
Monday, June 25, 2012 11:01 AM

The work on the Lincoln Highway improvement is starting off nicely. The rough grading has been done on the entire east section which extends about a mile and a half west of Delphos. One-half mile of this has been completely graded and dressed and is ready for stone. The large trucks are now hauling stone and the water bound base will be started.
The water bound base will be seven inches thick and will consist of two three-and-a-half-inch cources. On top of this will be placed a three-inch bituminous top.

Water is being used to a considerable extent to pack the base and place it in good condition for the stone work.
A number of teams have been secured from local firms and teamsters and are now being used on the road work. About forty men are now employed in the work of grading and teaming.
The supply of stone from the local quarry of the Limestone Quarry Company for the work is being facilitated by the recent purchase of a steam shovel.
Work has been started on the west section also. A new bridge is being constructed over the West Jennings Creek, the second creek west of Delphos. This will be concrete and thirty feet wide. The road is now closed to all traffic. (Edward Geise, deceased, who, as a young man, lived near the Lincoln Highway, said that when they started to pike the highway, farmers were hired to use their stonebed wagons to haul stone. The farmers would drive their team and wagon to the quarry, load it, and go where the stone was needed and pull one board at a time out of the wagon bed, dropping the stone and level it with a shovel. For all this work, they were paid $1.00 per load. R.H.)
Delphos Herald,
July 3, 1919
----------

Lincoln Way To Run East From Delphos 55 Miles
According to an important change in routing the Lincoln Highway which has just been announced by the Lincoln Highway Assn., Lima will no longer be on the route of this transcontinental road.
The association is endeavoring to make the Lincoln Way as direct a coast-to-coast route as possible and has therefore decided upon using the road known as the Delphos-Bucyrus road from Gomer to Upper Sandusky, instead of turning east of Gomer to pass through Lima.
This road is an absolutely straight stretch for fifty-five miles from Delphos direct into Upper Sandusky and, therefore, will mean a great saving of time for traveling.
the following with regards to the change is taken from the Lincoln Highway Forum, the official organ of the Lincoln Highway Assn.: Since the original selection of the route in 1913, a direct shortcut road has been opened up, and is found to be the longest stretch without a turn on the Lincoln Highway between the two coasts. The change removes the Highway from the towns of Forest, Dunkirk, Dola, Ada and Lima and routes it through Williamstown, New Stark, Beaverdam and West Cairo, a distance of about eleven miles is saved and many turns avoided.
“The change of the route has only been authorized by the Lincoln Highway Assn. after very careful investigation and after consultation with officers of the Motor Transportation Corps in Washington.”
The new route will be immediately marked and will be followed by the transcontinental motor convoy, which leaves Washington, July 7th.
The army is securing the shortest and most direct route between New York and San Francisco, and the Association will necessarily authorize any changes desired by the General Staff.
This change will very likely mean that the Lincoln Way will pass directly through Delphos on Fifth street instead of coming in on Second and then down Main to Fifth. Fifth street forms a part of the old Ridge road or the Delphos-Bucyrus road.
Delphos Herald,
July 9, 1919
----------

Father and Son
Injured in Accident
Albert Kimmet, route 3, Delphos, and his son, John, 15, were injured Sunday morning in an automobile accident at First and Washington streets.
Nickel Plate passenger train No. 16, northbound, struck the Chevrolet coach at the First street crossing at about 10 a.m. The passenger train due in Delphos at 6:05 a.m. was running late due to a derailment at Frankfort.
The force of the impact threw Mr. Kimmet out of the door and he was thrown clear to the left of the track. His son, John, was thrown into the windshield.
The auto was pushed from the track and crashed into a tree about 30 feet north oft he track, and was badly damaged. The injured were taken into the home of Mr. and Mrs. J.B. Higgins, 103 North Washington street and a local physician was called.
Mr. Kimmet had an injury to his ribs on the right side and also suffered an injury to the pelvis and bruises. John Kimmet sustained a fracture of the right collar bone, three severe scalp wounds and numerous cuts and bruises. He also suffered from shock. After treatment they were removed to their home.
Delphos Herald,
Mar. 15, 1937
----------

Imber Auto Sales
A new 1937 Ford V-8 tudor belonging to Arthur Imber, East Fourth street, was stolen from in front of his home Sunday night and found later in a field between Delphos and Ft. Jennings, badly damaged.
Mr. Imber parked the machine in front of his house around 8:30 p.m. and left the keys in the car. The auto was stolen a short time later. The car ran off the road at a curve, struck a highway sign post, plowed through a ditch and stopped in a field. The car was badly damaged and showed evidence of having turned over.
Local police investigated the accident but failed to find any important clues. The authorities felt that the thief was injured and doctors in the vicinity are being questioned in an effort to locate the guilty party.
A group of motorists state that they saw the wrecked car as early as 10:30 p.m. on Sunday night.
Delphos Herald,
Mar. 15, 1937
----------

Delphos High Team
Leases Ball Grounds
The Delphos High School baseball team has completed arrangements for the leasing of a ball grounds just off of south Pierce street for a term of three years. The ground is the property of Theodore Hemker and is located just east of his residence property at the corner of Pierce and Cleveland streets. The grounds will have entrance from Pierce street.
The Board of Education has given the club permission to employ the proceeds of entertainments given in the new High School Auditorium for the purpose of paying the rental on the grounds. The leasing of the grounds will give the Delphos High School an ideal place for ball games and other outdoor sports.
Delphos  Herald,
Apr. 25, 1912
----------

Bids Received for
Leasing of City
Owned Land
Eight bids were received for the leasing of 25 acres of land at the north edge of Delphos. The board of control let the bid Friday to Ed Dickman. City council passed legislation to lease the property for agricultural purposes. They requested that a clause be placed in the lease that the property could be reclaimed by the city for a manufacturing site, providing the city would pay the tenant for crops.
George Rode has been living on the farm since its purchase by the city. The expiration of his lease forced council to release it. The property was purchased by the city for a dump ground and a site for a sewage disposal plant.
The ground was leased for three years with cash rental to be paid each year in advance. The bids were as follows: Steve Dickman, $305.98 per year; A.J. Pohlman $285 per year; Wm. Kiggins, $247; George Rode, $285; Kermit Nichols, $208; Edward Dickman $401.60; Francis Scott, $355; Lawrence Lammers, $302.50.
Delphos Herald,
Mar. 12, 1937
----------

Sells Delphos Hotel
George Beer has disposed of the Delphos Hotel to Charles Schlink, of Chicago. He will take charge on Monday.
Included in the deal is the pool room in the south part of the building which was purchased from Louis Copeland. Mr. Copeland recently purchased the fixtures from Philip Stummer and moving them from the former location of the Stummer saloon on East Second street to the room in the hotel building. The new proprietor has not yet announced his plans for the future of the hostelry.
Delphos Herald,
Mr. 4, 1920
----------

White Restaurant
Proprietor
Ira Sarber, proprietor of the White Restaurant on East Second street, received his restaurant license Thursday. The license shows that the fee has been paid and it has passed inspection by the Hotel Division, State Fire Marshall.
Mr. Sarber is the first restaurant proprietor in Delphos to receive one of the permits, which are required under a new law.
Delphos Herald,
Mar. 4, 1920


 

Last Updated on Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:44 AM
 

Add comment


Security code
Refresh