Rev. Father Rupert is completing arrangements for laying of the cornerstone of the new St. John’s parochial school which is to take place next Monday, May 20, when Right Reverend Joseph Schrembs, bishop of diocese of Toledo, will be here to conduct the services. A large number of members of the Catholic clergy of this part of the state will be present to assist at the services. Among the visiting priests who will be here are: Very Rev. Bonifas Russ of Carthagena, Rev. Father Waechter of Van Wert, Rev. J.B. Weis, Paulding, Rev. John Baumgartner, Payne, Rev. J.B. Mertes, Ottoville, Rev. Nicholas Gerwert, Ottoville, Rev. M. Arnoldi, Ft. Jennings, Rev. Henry Wiechman, Cloverdale, Rev. Thos. Kolb, New Bavaria, Rev. John Tennison, Holgate, Rev. Albert Zemp, New Cleveland, Rev. Edmund Widmer, Miller City, Rev. A.E. Manning, Lima and Rev. Carl Alter, Lima.
Bishop Schrembs will administer confirmation to a class of 473 children and 38 converts, Monday morning, and the cornerstone laying will take place at 2:30. Appropriate and impressive services will be carried out and the members of the various church societies are invited to attend. The West Side Cadet band will be present to furnish music.
Rev. Father Rupert is preparing historical documents which will be placed in the cornerstone. The documents will be on parchment and will contain the names of the President and Vice President of the United States, Governor of Ohio, also other national and state officials, the present city officials and names of the different church societies, the church councilmen, the building committee, the pupils now attending the parochial schools and others. Copies of the issues of the Herald and Courant containing this article will be included in the papers placed in the cornerstone as will copies of a number of Catholic publications. These papers will be placed in a copper box, 8 1/2 in long, 5 in. high and 4 1/2 in. wide, which will be securely sealed and so arranged that they will be preserved for many years.
The work of erecting the new school is now progressing nicely under the direction of Rev. Father Rupert. J.H. Beckmann is overseeing the work. The brick has been laid up to the water tables of the first floor and a good idea of the beautiful appearance of the walls when completed can be gained. The brick, which is of several different shades, is laid in brown mortar and produces a very pretty wall light brown in color. The exterior ornamental work will be of stone and very rich in design.
Practically all the steel for the new building is now on the ground and the fact that 275 tons of steel will be used will give some idea of the solidity and durability of the structure when completed. Men are at work placing the steel for both the first and second floors. A solid steel frame is being put up and the school is being built on the plan now being used in the large business blocks in the cities, which does away with the danger of placing too much strain on brick walls.
This steel work rests upon a heavy cement foundation which is without a question the most substantial foundation in the city of Delphos. Rev. Father Rupert, to whom is due the credit for this great work now in progress, has erected many schools and church edifaces in the years he has spent in the priesthood. This foundation which was built last fall is of heavy re-enforced concrete. The rooms in the basement will be twelve feet in height and include two large play and meeting rooms, about 85 x 46 feet, the one on the north for the girls and the one on the south for the boys. In addition the basement will contain furnace and fuel rooms and a plenum chamber, where the air will be heated. Stairways leading from the basement on the outside of the building will be provided on the north and south.
The main entrance to the building will be from Pierce Street and will be spacious and ornamental with stone work. The cornerstone will be at the northwest corner of the building. The first floor will contain twelve rooms, also two others that may be used as school rooms if desired. Each school room will be provided with a cloak room.
A large and well arranged auditorium, with stage and dressing rooms will be located on the second floor. This room will seat 900 people comfortably and will have twenty-seven feet of exit as required by the state. The auditorium will make an ideal place for the holding of church socials and other meetings of church societies, etc. In addition to the auditorium, two school rooms and toilet rooms will be located on the second floor.
The large amount of steel being used in the building coupled with the heavy foundation and substantial walls will constitute a building that should last for hundreds of years. The floors will be of tiling and a large amount of this material is now on the ground. No wood is being used and the school will be as near fireproof as it is possible to erect a building of this kind.
This large temple of learning, which will be 157x95 ft. and will be one of the most beautiful and substantial schools in the state and every citizen of Delphos should feel proud of it when completed.
As near as possible all the work is being done locally and the building will be erected at a much lower cost than an ordinary building of this kind, Rev. Father Rupert’s experience in this work being a great asset to the building fund.
May 14, 1912
Ohio Street and Extension Completed
Ohio street and the extension of that street to the forks have been opened to traffic after having been closed for some days because of improvement work which the Van Wert County Commissioners had under way.
The road has been converted into a paved highway. It was first scarified and rolled, after which a three-inch base of heavy stone was laid and a top consisting of two courses of tar with screenings rolled in was applied.
The road was opened to traffic Wednesday morning. It had been practically completed by that time although the work of rolling the surface was still underway.
The roller will be brought back to Delphos after the road has been in use for a short time and the surface will again be rolled.
The surface placed on this road is similar to that which was placed on the Lincoln Highway, west of Delphos.
An excellent roadway is provided and this will be further improved as it becomes worn down by traffic. The improvement extends from the Pennsylvania railroad to the forks.
It will be greatly appreciated as this road was in bad condition. This portion of the road is subject to heavy traffic as all three of the roads which meet from the west and south at the forks are much traveled.
July 1, 1925
En Route to Homes
Miss Mary Klieber, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Klieber, of Delphos, who has been a nurse at the New York Foundling Hospital, 175 East 68th street, New York City, since a year ago last March, arrived here Friday night from that city, having in charge three children from the institution that she will place in good homes in Indiana.
Miss Klieber is at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Holdgreve, west First street, with the children and expects to leave on Monday for Indiana to place them in homes. The eldest, Francis Sheenhan, is a boy of 6 years and the other two are girls, Rosie Moran and Mary Dupun, aged about 2 1/2 years. The boy and last named baby will be adopted into good homes in Bloomington, Ind., while the other child goes to Bedford, Ind.
They were reared in the Foundling Hospital from birth and homes were found for them by one of the agents of the institution. Miss Klieber and an assistant have charge of 65 children at the Hospital, only 25 of them being old enough to walk, they are called “runarounds”. At the present time there are 635 children in the institution of various ages, and homes are found every day for the little charges, while their places are taken by new ones - infant children whose parents are unable to care for them, and others that are born under unfortunate circumstances.
The Hospital is a Catholic institution, founded by a Sister of Charity. It has established a great work for humanity, thousands of God’s unfortunate children finding homes through it.
The children here in charge of Miss Klieber are exceptionally bright for their ages.
Delphos Herald, Apr. 15, 1899
Various Notes of
The residence of Leo Maloney in Maplewood Place is nearing completion.
C.D. Laing is just completing a new residence on Sixth street in San Felice addition.
The Allen County commissioners have arranged to pike Sixth and Seventh street in San Felice addition.
A new residence which is being erected for Dean Moorman on East Seventh street in San Felice addition, is well underway.
Mrs. Barbara Morkoetter is preparing to erect a fine house on her lots at the corner of Sixth and Moening streets, in San Felice addition.
The work of erecting two new residences in Maplewood Place addition, one for a Lima party and one by the owners as an investment will be commenced next week.
Joseph Fortener has a force of men at work placing the concrete foundation for the new Commercial Bank building at Main and Third St.
Men are at work placing the book cases in the new public library. The exterior painting is also underway as is pointing up of the stone work. The interior finishing in the basement has not yet been commenced, but this will likely be taken up in a few days.
The rough plastering in the basement of the new Jefferson School is nearing completion and men will commence placing the white coat soon. All the plastering has been completed on the first floor and carpenters will commence laying the floors in the various rooms Friday morning.
The new three-story brick building being erected by H. Ricker & Sons, on North Main street is rapidly assuming proportions. The brick has been laid up to the level of the second floor and the front, which is of a light colored brick, is very attractive. The new structure will make a handsome improvement for that part of Main street.
Rapid progress is being made at the new two-story brick business building being erected by Chas. Mathis on the west side of Main street between Second and Third. The brick walls at the rear of the building have been completed to the level of the second floor. The walls of the M.H. Westrich building on the north and John Walsh building on the south will be used to form a portion of the side walls. Carpenters are at work placing joists for the second floor.
Delphos Herald, May 16, 1912
(Continued in next Saturday’s paper)
Delphos was paid a visit Wednesday and Thursday, by Lieutenant Herbert P. Nordwall, of Amsterdam, Holland, who is on a jaunt around the globe, most of the trip being made by foot. He is known as “Globetrotting Flying Dutchman.” Mr. Nordwall called at this office and recounted some of his experiences while visiting the different countries of the globe.
Mr. Nordwall stated that he had never had the pleasure of seeing “Teddy” and was going to take advantage of the opportunity to do so in Delphos.
He is a young man, 26 years old, is of athletic build and neat in appearance. He left Holland with a chum five years ago, to see the world. They first went to England, covering the entire countries of England, Wales, Ireland and Scotland, making their living as they went, selling post cards. Tiring of English life, they then crossed the channel into France, walked all over Switzerland, visiting every lake and famous mountain, and climbing Mt. Blanc. They covered Italy, Greece, Sicily and were in every large city on the continent. After doing Europe, they finally arrived in Smyrna, where they were thrown into jail in July, 1909, where they laid for 40 days before the Dutch consul succeeded in gaining their freedom. During this time they wore the regular Dutch sabots, or wooden shoes and other Dutch apparel.
They took ship to Bombay, covering British, India, and finally landed at Hong Kong, but as the “Chinks” did not look good to them, they sailed for San Francisco, where they arrived less than two years ago, and after seeing the sights of the coast and Alaska, started east on foot.
May 16, 1912
Ohio Electric Railway
The Ohio Electric Railway has discontinued service between Kalida and Defiance because citizens of Continental, an intermediate point, claim the company never obtained a franchise to run its cars by electricity. Now the Ohio Electric is considering changing its route to cut out Continental and take in Miller City. The council of Continental is willing to grant an amended franchise. The Ohio Electric purchased the old steam road between Lima and Defiance.
May 14, 1912
San Felice Addition
and Roby Addition
To our patrons and the citizens of Delphos:
One year ago we stated we would build at least twenty houses in Delphos, and improve our properties with grading, walks, sewers, etc. To some, our claims looked like hot air. But we forged ahead, believing then as we believe now; that in order for a town to grow, one of the first things is to provide houses for the people to live in. It has been and will continue to be our purpose to give people a chance to own their homes by paying a little more than rent.
Now as to what we have done.
We have erected thirty houses that you will find by comparison are as good as will be found in any suburb of any city. All have been sold and the people who have bought them are glad they have started to own a home.
We have invested $44,000 in the San Felice addition and $20,000 in the Roby addition. And all to remain forever as taxable property. This money has all been paid out here. We believe in Delphos and in patronizing Delphos. $24,000 of this money has been paid for Delphos labor.
We are now ready to start another year’s building operations and we hope to do as much or more this year. If you want a house, commence now. The first to start will have a home first. We believe in a greater Delphos, but can’t make it greater without more homes.
228 E. 3rd St.,
Feb. 22, 1911
There is talk of moving the Marbletown W.B. Church to a more central location, north of the tracks.
Get your carriage and buggy tops repaired at J. Scherger’s. Special low price on storm aprons and side curtains.
The Presbyterian ladies will hold a sale next Saturday of the goods made up for the bazaar. They will be on exhibition at Klein’s tailor shop.
White shirts and colored dress shirts, suitable for holiday presents. Lion Clothing House.
Leonidas Balyeat and Henry German will represent Van Wert County at the National Congress of Farmers at Ft. Worth, Texas.
Dec. 3, 1898
Harry Harmon and Ralph Waldron both of Van Wert, were locked up by the local police Monday night at the close of a chase of nearly an hour.
Reports of reckless driving had been made to the police and they had started in search of the offenders. The speeders, it was reported, had been driving wildly on the Cleveland street, had crossed Main at a high rate of speed and had driven into a yard on West Cleveland.
While the police were looking for them, the pair came to grief as they returned east on Cleveland and struck a Chevrolet coupe at Main and Cleveland.
Joseph Schuck, owner of the Chevrolet, went to the police station and swore out a warrant for the arrest of the alleged offenders. They were picked up by Patrolman Wagoner and were lodged in the city jail for the night.
Two charges were placed against Harry Hormon, driver of the Van Wert car. He was charged with operating an automobile at an excessive rate of speed and operating a car while under the influence of intoxicating liquor.
Schuck, Tuesday morning, filed attachment proceedings in the Squire Bliss court, taking out an attachment on Harmon’s car to collect the sum of $150 alleged due to him for damages to the Chevrolet in the collision.
July 14, 1925
It is currently reported that the post office department will soon issue an edict requiring all postmasters to wear a uniform consisting of light blue trousers with red braid down the legs, a white blouse with gold shoulder straps and lace and skull cap with a silver star on it.
Apr. 15, 1899