August 28, 2014

Subscriber Login



Window to the Past - Deep sand drilling in area PDF Print E-mail
Monday, October 24, 2011 8:58 AM

Had motorcycle accident
While riding on a motorcycle on North Main Street  at the corner of Fifth Friday evening the wheels of the machine skidded and Clarence Imber fell to the pavement. The rider was uninjured and no damage was done to the motorcycle.
Delphos Herald, July 20, 1912

**********
Deep sand drilling in area
A project which is of the greatest interest to oil men and the people in general in Northwest Ohio has been launched in Lima, which may have as its results, the reopening of activity, the inauguration of deep sand drilling now being assigned.
In many of the older oil fields of the country, where the crude production of once prolific territory has been practically exhausted by reason of extensive drilling and long periods of pumping, second sand drilling has been resorted by the enterprising producers and in many instances, good producing wells have been struck and new activities have been started in the development and operation of old fields through the finding of “pay sand” at depths ranging from 2,000 to 3,000 feet below the surface.
Mack Colt and J.A. Cinclair, two of the veteran operators, have taken up a large number of leases on territory east and southeast of Lima which at one time formed one of the greatest gusher pools in the Trenton Rock fields. Among the farms now under lease for deep drilling are the A.L. Roberts tract of 160 acres and the famous Tunget farm of 70 acres, situated east of Lima along the Marion Road.
A contact has been awarded for the drilling of the first deep sand well on the Roberts farm and it is expected that the rig builders will be at work on this farm within the next few days.
Delphos Herald, July 17, 1912
**********

Marion Township citizens organize a school
A meeting was held at the Mayor’s office Saturday afternoon by citizens of Marion Township, to organize a select graded school. Aaron Mericle was elected as president of the Board and Oliver Poling, secretary, J.W. Red was chosen as Treasurer and W.J. Judkins, Jacob Plikerd and Carey Scott as Directors.
The school is not incorporated and cannot sue or be sued, consequently every member must pay his tuition to the Treasurer before Sept. 1, 1900. C.C. Ludwig was employed as teacher and is to furnish his own janitor and chair. W.J. Judkins will erect a new building for the school near Walnut Grove Cemetery.
Delphos Herald, March 12, 1900
**********

Railroad news
While city officials slumbered, the Erie Railroad Company made an attempt to double track its line trough Lima shortly after midnight Wednesday morning. The Lima council recently refused the company the right to double-tracking. Near midnight the police responded to a summons. A gang of 50 foreigners were at work laying the double track. Common Pleas Judge Klinger was awakened and a temporary restraining order obtained. Legal action will follow in the Allen County Courts.
Delphos Herald, Sept. 12, 1912
**********

Old fire engine sold?
The old hand fire engine, Washington No. 1, a relic of bygone days in Delphos, and the winner of many a hard fought contest for prize in tournaments years ago, has shaken the dust of Delphos soil from its “feet” and departed for a new field of usefulness. It is now in Minster, Ohio on a ten day trial for sale, and Gus Fettig went to that place this morning to look after the town’s interest in a thorough test of the engine. C.S. Davis is taking Mr. Fettig’s place at the City Building.
Delphos Herald, March 13, 1900
**********

Memorial Stones
You notice the highly polished surface and the beautiful tints. Why, we have work made from material like this has stood the changes of seasons for many years and their brilliancy has improved with age. The material is the celebrated Wisconsin granite, and is being universally used in all climes. General Grant’s monument has a large percent of this granite in its composition which grows brighter as time passes. In fact the action of the elements works wonders in perfecting its appearance. We handle the four queens of granite which are the Celebrated Wisconsin, Windsor Green, Barre Granite and Quincy, and they cannot be beaten. They are top notch in our profession. We handle various kinds of material but the four mentioned above are our pushers in the high class construction. We have completed the beautiful Dulweber monument in the East Side Cemetery, with the exception of the statue which is to be a fine piece of art, a special design, and is now on its way from across the sea, imported direct to us from one of the largest quarries and most skilled workmen of Italy.
The statue will be ready for mounting in thirty or forty days. In connection with our large monument business we have a lot of construction work. We are now unloading two cars of Bedford stone and have five more cars on the way: C. Scherger & Son.
Delphos Herald, March 13, 1900
**********

Two teacher’s certificates revoked
The Van Wert County Board of School Examiners dismissed James Fostnaught and W.W. Yost, teachers. It is alleged that they attempted to buy lists of questions at the printing office a day in advance of the county examination. Both plea guilty to the charge. Neither of the men can be employed by any school board in the state.
The two teachers are in disgrace, but they made a vain bluff at squaring themselves. Yost went to an attorney’s office after the hearing, before the board, and caused an injunction to be issued, but it was too late and the injunction is the laughing stock in court circles.
Delphos Herald, March 13, 1900
**********

Cyclist injured on Ridge Road
A Mr. Baskel of South Bend, Ind. met with a painful injury at about 3:15 this afternoon, while returning from the meeting of American Federation of Motorcyclists in Columbus. In company with several others he passed through Delphos on his way to Van Wert and when he reached a point about three miles west of Delphos on the Ridge Road, (This would later be the Lincoln Highway, R.H.) his machine struck a bad rut in the road and he was thrown to the ground. He was going at a rapid rate of speed at the time and was badly bruised by the fall.
He was brought back to Delphos in an automobile and taken to the office of Dr. W.M. Hixson, where an examination proved that his left shoulder had been dislocated and the left arm had been badly bruised. His injuries are being given attention as we go to press and it is not known whether or not he suffered internal injuries.
Delphos Herald, July 20, 1912
**********

Rock Island Butter Co. in charge of Delphos Creamery
The Rock Island Butter Co. of Toledo is now in charge of the Delphos Creamery and will no doubt make a success of it as those in charge or thoroughly experienced in the business and the stresses the company has met with in its Toledo plant, gives assurance that the business of the local concern will soon be greatly increased.
The creamery is a valuable institution to the people of Delphos, but in reality it is of much greater importance to the formers in this section. They are now offering one cent above the Elgin market, or 28 1/2¢ per pound for butter fat delivered at the creamery. This insures the farmer better prices for his cream, for if those who buy and sell for other concerns, did not have this competition, the farmer would receive less for their product than they do now.
Delphos Herald, Sept. 13, 1912
**********

A new delivery wagon
A new delivery wagon has been received by Mr. Koehl to be used in delivering bread, cakes, etc. to different parts of the city for the Koehl Bakery. The wagon will be placed in service Monday.
Delphos Herald, Sept. 13, 1912
**********

Skeleton Unearthed
The discovery of a skeleton on the farm of David Johnson, near Travisville, Ind., a short distance from Bluffton, has caused considerable stir in that community, and there is much speculation as to what the discovery signifies. As far as can be learned, no positive explanation of the presence of the skeleton on the farm has been given, but it appears very probable that the skeleton is that of an Indian, or possibly of a wayfarer who died in the early history of this country and was buried in an unmarked grave before cemeteries were laid out.
Delphos Herald, Sept. 14, 1912
**********

Allen County man escaped from honor squad
A dispatch from Columbus states that three honor convicts walked away from the stone quarries near the state hospital and made successful getaways. One of them, Preston Hillon, Allen County, sent up for three years for abandonment of children, walked away from the Dayton State Hospital. Hillon was indicted by the Allen County Grand Jury in Oct. 1913, on the charge of abandoning his minor children and was sentenced to the Ohio penitentiary for three years. The court also ordered him to pay the cost of prosecution.
Delphos Herald, Aug. 12, 1914

 

Last Updated on Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:24 AM
 

Add comment


Security code
Refresh