|City schools looking to ‘spice up’ menu|
|Tuesday, June 10, 2014 8:00 PM|
BY NANCY SPENCER
DHI Media Editor
DELPHOS — Students at Delphos City Schools may see tastier offerings in the cafeteria next year. Superintendent Kevin Wolfe and the district cooks have met and discussed in-service training to make the meals from the school kitchens more appealing.
"We had been receiving a lot of feedback from students that the meals could be better and I met with the cooks and they are excited to learn how to 'spice up' the food they prepare," Wolfe told school board members Monday evening. "I think it's just a matter of adding some additional seasoning and perhaps a few tweaks in preparation and serving."
Board member Erica Pimpas offered suggestions of how to go about obtaining training for the local chefs.
"The companies that provide food and equipment might offer classes our cooks can take on how to make large quantities of food taste better," she said.
"We just know we could do better and the cooks are willing to go the extra mile to make that happen," Wolfe added.
Wolfe reminded the board he still needs substitute bus drivers and graduation went well.
Franklin Elementary students will see a new face in the building next school year. The board approved hiring Karla Kohler as a third-grade teacher. Kohler is a St. Henry native and spent the last three years as a Title I teacher at Coldwater Local Schools. Kohler rose to the top of 25 applicants, eight of whom were interviewed.
"Karla was a favorite from the beginning and her reading endorsement really led us in her direction," Wolfe said.
The board approved the Athletic Department Handbook and tickets prices for next year. Fall season passes for students will be $20 and good for all home fall sports contests. Ticket booklets are $25 for adults (five tickets) and $20 for students (five tickets). Pre-sale tickets for football are $5 for adults and $4 for students. Price at the gate is $6 for all tickets. High school volleyball tickets are $5 for adults and $4 for students. Junior high events are $3 for adults and $2 for students, including junior high football games.
Pre-sale tickets will only be available at the Administrative Building on Jefferson Street.
Board member Brent Gable questioned how many people get in to sporting events free.
"My wife has worked gates on occasion and it seemed like a lot of people weren't paying to get in," Gable said.
Wolfe said the issue has been addressed and adjustments made to the number of free tickets that are given.
In other action, the board:
• Hired David Wollenhaupt as High School Intervention Aide for the 2014-15 school year;
• Accepted the resignation of Becky Berelsman as Landeck cashier;
• Hired Karen Bonifas as 1.0-hour Landeck cashier for 2014-15;
• Accepted the resignation of Kyle Harmon as physical education teacher at Franklin effective at the end of this school year;
• Accepted the resignation of Karen Elwer as high school cook effective as of May 28;
• Accepted the resignation of Mike Brickner as Landeck custodian;
• Approved Kristi Hageman as interim head volleyball coach for the 2014 volleyball season. She will be interim for head coach Joy Develvis while on pregnancy leave;
• Accepted the resignations of the following coaches — Rebekah Stemen as varsity cheer coach; Maureen Teman as junior varsity football cheer coach; Kayla Warnecke as junior high cheer coach; and Brittany Rahrig as volunteer junior high cheer coach; and
• Approved the following supplemental contracts — Maureen Teman as varsity football cheer coach; Kayla Warnecke as junior varsity football cheer coach; Brittany Rahrig as junior high football cheer coach; Rebekah Steman as volunteer cheer coach; Jeff Stockwell as an assistant varsity football coach (split contract); Bryan Weimerskirch as an assistant varsity football coach (split contract); John Edinger as an assistant varsity football coach; Greg Gossman as volunteer varsity football coach; Joel Brown, Michael Wiltsie, James Wiltsie and Damon Joseph as junior high volunteer football coaches; and Kelsey Goodwin as seventh-grade volleyball coach.
The next meeting will begin at 7:30 p.m. July 14. There is no Finance Committee meeting in July.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, June 10, 2014 8:12 PM|