April 20, 2014

Subscriber Login



Window to the Past - Cars in crash on Harding Highway PDF Print E-mail
Saturday, October 26, 2013 12:00 AM

Two automobiles were damaged in a collision at the Cochran corner on Harding Highway, two and a half miles east of Delphos, Sunday afternoon.

A Star automobile, driven by a Mr. Patrick of near Scott’s Crossing, coming toward Delphos crashed into an Overland touring car driven by Ed Kleman, of this city who was on his way to Lima.

The front axle of the Overland was bent, a wheel was broken off and the running board was torn off. A wheel on the left side of the Star was crushed and the fenders and running board were torn off.

Fortunately, the cars did not turn over and the occupants were not injured.

Delphos Herald,

Mar. 21, 1927

—————

Two Railroad Motor

Cars Collide

Injuries were sustained by four employees of the Pennsylvania railroad signal and section departments Thursday afternoon when two motor cars on which they were riding were involved in a collision and were wrecked near the overhead about half a mile west of Delphos.

C.E. Miller, signal maintainer, sustained a fracture of the right collar bone and received a number of cuts and bruises.

John H. Flanagan, assistant maintainer, suffered a badly bruised left foot, injuries to the back and scratches and bruises. The exact extent of his injuries has not yet been determined.

A.R. Boniface leaped from one of the cars when he saw that a collision could not be avoided. He sustained bruises and cuts about the forehead and face.

Frank Dancer, section hand, also escaped with minor cuts and bruises.

The speeder used by the signal men was considerable damaged while that used by the section man was not damaged to any extent.

Delphos Herald,

Mar. 18, 1927

—————

Delphos Girl Takes

First Prize For

State of Ohio

Announcement has again been made of the intention to conduct a safety campaign. This is the annual contest in which Miss Helen Wrocklage, pupil at St. John’s school, took first prize for the State of Ohio last year and was awarded a gold medal and $15 in cash. St. John’s will again participate in this contest this year.

The following concerning the contest has been sent out from Washington, D.C.:

“Should children be taught street and highway safety at home or at school?”

Delphos Herald,

Mar. 22, 1927

—————

Penna. Railroad Puts

Up Coal Oil Lamps

City councilman, Harter, reported that instead of the Penna. company putting up an arc lamp at their crossing on Jefferson street, as requested of them by the Clerk, a coal oil lamp has been mounted on a post. On motion of Harter and second by Kaverman, the matter was left to the Street Light and Police Committee to see that the orders of the council were fulfilled.

Kaverman reported on the dirty condition of the water in the well at King Bros. drug store. Sevitz moved the council and Fast gave assent that the Fire Department committee see that the well was attended to.

Kaverman again brought up the matter of the defective floors on canal bridges, and the one on Third Street in particular, where a two-crack exists, and many of the boards are dangerously worn. On motion of Fast and seconded by Harter, the clerk was instructed to once more notify the commissioners in regard to the matter.

Fast, of the Forth ward, then took the floor, and in determined words, spoke of the crying necessity of a watchman at the Main Street crossing of the P.F. railroad. There is not a more dangerous crossing in town than this one, as Mr. Fast can testify, as he was nearly caught and crushed by the cars a few days ago while trains were switching on the main and side tracks. Mr. Sevitz agreed with him, that a watchman should be stationed there, and stated that three years ago the council clerk notified the company to take action, but the matter fell through for some reason.

Delphos Herald,

Dec. 18, 1895

—————

Farmers Use Old

Rails to Fight

Corn Borer

Farmers in the vicinity of Delphos, in fighting the corn borer, will be interested to know that rails may be procured in Delphos.

Three railroads have agreed to furnish rails to farmers for this purpose, the Pennsylvania, Nickel Plate and B. & O. being named.

At the local office of the Clover Leaf, a Nickel Plate line, a price of $6.50 for a seventy-five or eighty pound rail is being quoted. It is stated that the Pennsylvania has quoted the same price.

The Clover Leaf agent here has instructions to sell rails to farmers if they wish them. No instructions have yet been received at the Pennsylvania station here.

It is understood that the railroads are making an extra charge for cutting, where farmers desire shorter lengths of rails.

The use of these heavy rails is strongly recommended by both State and Federal officials as a means of destroying the borer and facilitating cleanup regulations. Dragged across the heavy stubble they prove most efficient in breaking down the stalks before burning or plowing under.

Delphos Herald,

Mar. 26, 1927

—————

No Doctor Bills

Allowed In Russia

Moscow — Russians pay their doctors what they think their services are worth and it is usually not very much. Physicians are not allowed to render bills for medical attendance, a tradition which grew up under the Czars and still is observed.

Only the most expert specialists have ever been permitted to make definite charges which usually is less than $5 per visit; and even these leading doctors regularly give several free treatments each week.

If a physician, offended at being offered fifty cents for his services, spurns the money and declares that he would rather give his services free than for such a paltry charge, he is liable to be expulsioned from the medical assn. for unethical conduct.

In spite of these apparent handicaps, the Russian medical schools are over-crowded with students, more than half of whom are women.

Delphos Herald,

Mar. 26, 1927

—————

Buy Grocery and

Creamery at Celina

Two former Delphos residents, Linus Schmelzer and Miss Viola Schmelzer, son and daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Dan Schmelzer, west of Delphos, recently purchased a grocery and creamery at Celina, formerly owned by the Andrees Brothers.

They took charge of the business Saturday.

Miss Schmelzer was formerly employed at the Clover Leaf Creamery in Delphos and Mr. Schmelzer was manager of the A. and P. store at Tiffin.

Delphos Herald,

Mar. 21, 1927

—————

(P.S.: This is the 15th year for my old news articles. R.H.)

 

Add comment


Security code
Refresh