|Lima churches celebrate heritage|
|Saturday, September 14, 2013 12:32 AM|
LIMA — Lima Trinity United Methodist Church members will be joined Sept. 25 by representatives of St. Mark’s and Family of Faith United Methodist churches to celebrate 184 years of establishment in Lima’s center with a covered dish dinner that evening at 6 p.m. followed by a program.
The program, with highlighted remarks from the Rev. Mary Ann Tomlinson, St. Mark’s pastor; and the Rev. James Loescher, from Family of Faith, will offer familiar scenes of the church’s 184 years and its growth will be presented. Members will have an opportunity to sing familiar hymns of the time. Mrs. Marjoire Hollinger and Mrs. Lvera Sprague are co-chairs.
Trinity church has been at the corner of West Market and South West streets since 1912 and this year, is observing the centennial anniversary of the edifice.
Trinity is the first church to be organized in Lima in 1829 and will mark that bicentennial anniversary in 2029, 16 years from now.
Trinity has been the mother church to Wesley church in the southern end of Lima. This church was followed by Grace United Methodist Church, which merged back with Trinity in 2008; St. Mark’s United Methodist Church on the north side of Lima; and Family of Faith United Methodist Church on East Market Street (formerly Epworth), all mission focused churches.