|Patrons will ‘Dig Into Reading’ this summer|
|Saturday, June 01, 2013 12:22 AM|
BY NANCY SPENCER
Sign-up begins on Tuesday with activities in the library from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. The Master Gardeners will also be in the gazebo from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. to help children plant a flower to take home.
The Little Diggers (preschoolers) meet for storytime at 10 a.m. or 11 a.m. on Mondays or at 6:30 p.m. on Thursdays.
• June 10 and 13 — “I Dig Gardening”;
• June 17 and 20 — “I Dig Dinosaurs”;
• June 24 — “I Dig Tractors”;
• June 27 is Family Night and will feature “Tough a Truck, Tough a Tractor” in the parking lot;
• July 1 — “I Dig Hidden Treasure” and cookie day;
• July 8 and 11 — “I Dig Getting Dirty” with dirt pudding; and
• July 15 and 18 — “I Dig Animal Diggers.”
The “Rockin’ Readers” (grades K-5) meet for activities at 2 p.m. or 6:30 p.m. on Tuesdays.
• June 11 — “Beneath Our Feet” with special guest Johnny Appleseed Park District Naturalist Mark Mohr speaking about animals that burrow;
• June 18 is family night at 6:30 p.m. only with “The Great Kaplan,” who “blends dazzling skill with shameless gimmickry” at Jefferson Middle School Auditorium. Participant will return to the library after the program and make dirt pudding;
• June 25 — “Touch a Truck, Touch a Tractor” in the parking lot;
• July 2 — “The Tortoise and the Hare” by the Minnetrista Puppet Troupe in the Library Common;
• July 9 — “Wormology” with special guest Beth Seibert of the Allen County Soil and Water Conservation District who will offer worm races; and
• July 16 — “Mrs. Cressman’s Garden” with participants seeing and tasting what grows above and below the ground.
July 19 is the last day to turn in reading records to receive an invitation to the pool party, which will be mailed to everyone who has completed six weeks of reading 90 minutes per week. “Over and Above Club” prizes will also be drawn.
The annual pool party is set for 8:30 p.m. July 23 with a rain date of July 25. Families are welcome (sorry, no friends). Non-swimmers are free and parents and siblings can swim for $1 each.
The Teen Read Group will meet at noon on June 13, June 27 and July 11 and enjoy lunch and dessert while discussing this year’s books. The reading list includes: “Dead End in Norvelt” by Jack Gantos; “Code Orange” by Caroline B. Cooney; and “Somebody Please Tell Me Who I Am” by Harry Mazer.
Adults can join in on the fun this summer, too. Director Kelly Rist has announced the “Groundbreaking Reads” program. Adults can pick up bingo cards at the library and cover spaces for “bingos” by completing activities that explore all aspects of what the library has to offer. Drawings for prizes will be held for completed cards.