|It was News Then|
|Thursday, February 28, 2013 1:34 PM|
One Year Ago
• Jan Bonifas has plenty of experience to draw on when he opens his bakery in St. Marys. He did baking in his parents’ business, Nu-Maude’s Restaurant and Catering, East Fifth Street, for six years. Bonifas’s new bakery, called J.B. Pastries, will open Feb. 29. It is located at 117 S. Main St., St. Marys.
• Parents of senior players, statisticians and trainers were honored Friday evening in St. John’s gymnasium. The 1987-88 team made it memorable by overwhelming a young Bath Wildcat team; 83-60. Three Blue Jays hit in double digits for the season finale. Mike Williams took top honors with 23, Brian Heitz added 19 and Curt Mager 15.
• At the meeting of the Psi Chapter of Alpha Delta Omega National Sorority at the Fort Jennings home of Mrs. Robert Schuerman, plans were completed for a bake sale scheduled for Good Friday. A resume of the Founder’s Day tea at Fort Wayne was given by Janice Wanamacher. Attending from Psi Chapter were Wannamacher, Mrs. Dean Mollenkopf, Dianna Hammons, and Mary Ellen Gerdeman.
• Ruth Buckhholtz spoke to Delphos Rotarians Wednesday on “The World of Tomorrow.” She was introduced by Gary McBride, program chairman for the day. Paul Harter, Jr., club president, presided at the meeting, and Robert Porter led club singing. Guests included Robert Mueller and Dean Martin, seniors at Delphos John’s; Chuck Laudick of Delphos, Gerry Marsh of Fort Wayne and Ada Rotarian Dr. F. W. Morehart.
• There was a large attendance at the card party and dance held at the Landeck C. K. of O. hall Sunday evening under the sponsorship of the Landeck C. L. of C. In pinochle, Mrs. Leo Mueller and Arnold Kill held high score and Mrs. Armella Kill and Paul Hotz were low. Mr. and Mrs. Ed. Bonifas received high honors in euchre and Mrs. Michael Kimmet and Alfred Williams were consoled.
• Three councils of the Knights of Columbus, Delphos, Lima and Wapakoneta, joined for an inter-council meeting conducted Monday evening at Wapakoneta. Frank Knapke presented several readings and Rev. John C. Fleckenstein spoke on various activities of the K. of C. Joseph Krabach of Lima also spoke. Further remarks were offered by Ed. Finn, Grand Knight of the Lima council and Carl Birkmeier, Grand Knight of the Delphos council.