|Window to the Past - Delphos St. John’s, St. Charles new wing|
|Monday, February 18, 2013 9:52 AM|
The blessing of the new St. Charles wing of Delphos St. John’s High School at 12:30 p.m. tomorrow by the Most Rev. George Rahrig, bishop of Toledo, will climax the latest chapter in the story of the growth of the parochial school system.
It is appropriately named for the patron saint of the late Rt. Rev. Msgr. Carl F. Reineck, who was so actively concerned in its construction.
The story of St. John’s schools begins in 1870 when a school, 30x37 feet was erected near St. John’s cemetery at the present location of the New Delphos Manufacturing Co. It was replaced by a temporary church which was used while the present church was built.
The St. Mary’s building, including at first, four rooms on the first floor and St. Mary’s hall on the second, was erected in 1887 while Father Hoeffel was pastor at St. John’s.
When Father Rupert became pastor, he immediately started the construction of a new school building. It had 13 class rooms and a large auditorium. A four-room frame building was added during the pastorate of Dr. John Sassen.
Msgr. Reineck succeeded Dr. Sassen as pastor and he embarked on a school building program that was to be continuous until his death, March, 1962.
Planned as early as 1945, the Fatima wing was completed in 1948 at a cost of $250,523. This added seven classrooms, some of which were used at the time by the high school.
On May in 1952, contracts were signed for the new high school building on Second Street, the cost to be $240,000. A portable building, which occupied this site, was sold to the American Legion.
Charles Myers was among the parishioners who contributed generously to the new high school building. Mr. Myers died in 1952 without seeing the result of his gift of $15,000 for a modern chemistry lab.
Construction of the St. Charles wing began during the fall of 1961. It is 147 by 75 feet and built of cement blocks with brick facing. It contains seven standard classrooms, a biology lab, office with consultation rooms, book room, storage room and toilet facilities. Included in this most recent project was remodeling of two rooms in the older building to provide storage space and a journalism room.
Complete cost of the project was $152,103.
The active building program that has been continuous, has been made necessary by the ever increasing enrollment at St. John’s.
In 1938, there were about 626 pupils in the grade school and 192 in the high school for a total of 818. By 1960, the total had increased to 1,156 and next year there will be a total estimated at 1,670.
This year there will be 28 teaching sisters and about 20 lay teachers.
Aug. 17, 1962
Knights of Columbus submit topics on which pupils in area Parochial Schools will write
The Knights of Columbus committee, which is in charge of the English composition contest which the local council is conducting, has announced the subjects on which the pupils will write. The subject selected for the High School pupils is “Is America on the verge of an Educational Decline?”, that for the eighth grade is, “Why I am proud that I am an American.”
Five parochial schools represented in the membership are expected to participate in the contest. These include Delphos, Ft. Jennings, Landeck, Ottoville and Cloverdale.
A gold medal will be awarded by the Knights to the winner in the High School contest in each of these schools, while the winners of the eighth grade contest each will be awarded a silver medal.
Mar. 30, 1920
Van Del Drive-In
A pair of armed robbers held up and robbed the Van Del Drive-In Theater, midway between Delphos and Van Wert on U.S. Route 30, at 10:30 p.m. Tuesday and made a getaway with a $200 loot.
Road blocks were set up throughout Van Wert, Auglaize and Mercer Counties but the robbers were not seen.
Miss Joyce Gorrill, 17, of 233 West First street, cashier at the Van Del, had just finished getting the nights receipts ready for depositing at the bank, according to Sheriff W.L. Clay, when the two men walked up to the ticket office and asked permission to use the telephone, as they had car trouble. The car, believed to be a 1946 to 1948 model Dodge, had been parked along the highway, east of the theater.
Shortly, one of the bandits jabbed a gun into the ribs of Stanley Ringwald, 16, an employee at the theater and told Ringwald and Miss Gorrill to hand over the money. The other robber told Joyce to empty her purse, but being big-hearted, he told her to keep her one dollar.
The money taken included 30 rolls of change and an assortment of currency, Sheriff Clay reported.
Before leaving, the bandits disconnected phone wires but employees got hold of an inter-communication system at the theater and the employees were able to notify the sheriff’s office immediately.
Aug. 17, 1955
Husband is Nazi Prisoner
Mrs. Mary Myers, of Middle Point, has received word that her husband, Pvt. Harold Myers, 27, previously reported missing in action, is a prisoner in Germany and is confined in Stalag 11-B.
Pvt. Myers, with an infantry division of the Seventh Army, was listed as missing in France. Mrs. Myers last letter from him was written two days before he was made a prisoner.
The soldier, a Middle Point High School graduate and a former employee of the France Stone Company, entered service last April, and has been overseas since last October. He is the father of two small children, Gary and Deanna.
Mrs. Myers, the former Mary Volk, learned through the War Department, that her brother, Lieut. Howard Volk, a Van Wert County casualty, was killed Aug. 25, 1944, while serving with a tank unit in France. Information stated that the tank, after direct hit by a Nazi shell, exploded and the entire tank crew was killed.
April 5, 1945
New Delivery Wagon
A new delivery wagon has been received here by M. Koehl to be used in delivering bread, cakes, etc. to different parts of the city for the Koehl Bakery. The wagon will be placed in service Monday.
Sold Shoe Store
Having sold our shoe store to Messrs. Marks & Bernstein, we are closing up the business and we earnestly request all those knowing themselves to be indebted to us to call at once at Roth’s meat market, where our books will be settled. Mittler & Mittler
Sept. 13, 1942
Local Boxing Exhibition
A boxing exhibition given by the San Felice Athletic Club in the Flick block, Thursday evening, drew a large crowd, many men from Lima and other places coming here to see the three events of which the principal feature was a ten-round bout between Jack McHenry of Montpelier, Ind., and Sam Axl, of Cleveland. Charley Maxwell, of Lima, acted as referee for the three events.
The first of the preliminaries was a three-round bout between Clyde McHenry of Lima, and Fred Good of Toledo, lightweights. In the first round, Good had decidedly the advantage, but in the second, honors were about even. In the third, McHenry forced the fighting and when the bout ended, McHenry had much the advantage.
A six round bout between Jimmy Gillen, of Van Wert, and Curly Gast, of Delphos, was called off at the opening of the first round. It was apparent that Gast was no match for Gillen.
Before the opening of the final event, a number of athletes extended challenges. Battling Wells, of Cincinnati, who claims the welterweight championship of that city, challenged any man under 142 pounds. Otto Sutor of Elyria, welterweight wrestler and John Hermonson, heavyweight wrestler of Chicago, offered $25 to any man in their class who would stay with them 10 minutes without being thrown.
Sept. 6, 1912
New Produce Company
A new produce company has been established in the frame building on West Second Street, formerly occupied by J.M. Thatcher’s garage and workmen are now getting the building ready for the new firm.
Gracely Bros. of Mendon and Spencerville, and Henry Fleck of New York City, are the members of the new firm which will be known as the New York Produce Company. The new company will handle only live poultry, no dressed poultry whatever being shipped in or out of their plant.
The Gracely Brothers have been engaged in the produce business for 15 years and have plants in Spencerville and Mendon, while Mr. Fleck is interested in a big eastern produce company. It is the intention of the new company to send all their live poultry from those two places to Delphos to ship to eastern markets. H.W. Gracely will have charge of the new plant and will move his family here, from Mendon.
Delphos Herald, Jan. 3, 1912
for Local Plant
The local plant of the Lima Contractors’ Supply Co., south of the Water Works Park, is one of the busiest places in town, and now has about 50 employees at good wages. In the foundry department, a run of metal is made every work day in manufacturing cast iron sectional sewer pipe. From 7 to 9 tons of iron is used every day and in the smaller sizes of pipe the company is unable to catch up with their orders. Galvanized iron sectional sewer pipe is also being manufactured and is in great demand, especially in the south. Machinery has been ordered to make this sort of sewer pipe complete, and will be quite an addition to the company’s business. Within the next 90 days, a large air compressor will be installed to be used in operating pneumatic tools and a large ten ton capacity electric crane will be put in use in the foundry and machine department. This plant is one of the stable institutions of this city employing a good force of men, and additions are being made from time to time.
Apr. 21, 1911
A bad runaway accident, on West First street, Sunday morning just after attending high mass at St. John’s church, resulted in a two-seated carriage being badly broken up, and Mrs. Mary Frederick and her little daughter, Mildred, aged 5, being painfully bruised.
Mrs. Frederick, who lives in Washington township, was accompanied by her children, Carl, Joseph, Francis, Lucille, Elnora and Mildred and Miss Lana Raabe were returning home when the team became frightened at an automobile.
The boys had the horses under control, when they again became frightened at an auto standing in the street, between Bredeick and State streets, and started to run, one of the bits broke and it was impossible to control them.
The horses dragged the carriage on to the lawn of M. Schmit’s home and striking a tree. Near State street the carriage overturned and the occupants were thrown out. One of the children had jumped out before it was overturned. Mrs. Frederick and daughter Mildred were very painfully bruised, while the others escaped injury. That one or more were not killed or badly injured is considered miraculous.
The horses were stopped at the Heitz farm, just south of the railroad, to which point they dragged the tongue and double tree.
Apr. 17, 1911
Little Girl Falls
off Plank Bridge
While little Carrie Hansan, aged 5, was crossing Ottawa river at Lima on plank bridge, she lost her balance and fell into the swiftly running water. Her older sister Flo, aged 9, ran along the stream to a bush that extended out into the water. She seized this with one hand and grabbed her sister as the swirling water brought her within reach.
New Post Office Floor
A new hardwood floor is being placed in the lobby of the post office, laid over the old floor which was almost worn through in places, particularly in front of the delivery windows.
Apr. 17, 1911
Young Ladies Sodality
Runs “Country Store”
Unique and a thorough success in every way was the “country store conducted by the Young Ladies” Sodality of St. John’s Church at the City hall on Wednesday evening. It was a thoroughly enjoyable event for the vast throng which visited the City Hall. The young ladies had labored diligently, arranging for the event. A typical country store was arranged on one side of the spacious hall. Above the counter in the country store, was a sign with this inscription: “It takes money to be popular. Take what you get. Give with a good spirit. Smile, pay your money quick.” Behind the counter were accommodating clerks, who readily disposed of the sale articles. Groceries, hardware, wearing apparel and articles of every description were on sale. Ed Wulfhorst and Will Walsh, attired as typical patrons of a small country store, were prominent among the throng and attracted much attention. The fortune telling booth with an appropriate banner, “Get your fortune told” attracted much attention, and the fortune teller, Mrs. Ben Gladen, of Ft. Wayne, was kept busy in predicting the future for the ladies and gentlemen. Lunch and ice cream and cake were served, and cut flowers, cigars, cracker jack and candies were sold and netted quite a sum. During the evening the visitors at the Hall were entertained by the Washington Township band, under the leadership of Fred Hempfling. The affair was given for the benefit of the new Parochial School.
Apr. 20, 1911
Delphos Eagles Host Event
Accompanied by three brass bands, nearly 500 members of the Fraternal Order of Eagles, marched through Main street in a cold, driving rain Wednesday night at 8:30 o’clock, from Second to Fifth streets and countermarched to the Eagles Hall on East Second street.
Of this number, about 200 came from Wapakoneta on special cars over the Ohio Electric, and nearly 150 came from Van Wert. The Wapakoneta delegation was accompanied by a brass band, and the Merchants’ Band of Van Wert accompanied the Eagles from that city. Visitors were present from Lima, Spencerville and other places. More than 100 members of the Delphos lodge participated.
Hand flambeaus were used for illumination during the street demonstration. First came the Delphos Eagles then Wapakoneta band, followed by their members, then the Van Wert band and lodge members, then the Peoples’ Band of Delphos. Then, 30 candidates brought up the rear. They were appropriately “bannered” so that the interested onlooking public were informed as to who were the “victims.” Hundreds of people were attracted by the stirring band music and caught the enthusiasm that pervaded the lodge members.
The goat was well-groomed for the occasion and after the street parade, the candidates were hustled into the lodge room in the Krieft block and the fun began. We are not in position to tell first what happened and wouldn’t if we could, but they certainly must have had a barrel of fun. And the candidates were non the worse for wear the next day. Although the Eagles’ Hall is a spacious one, it was inadequate to contain the large number of members present.
Delphos Herald, Apr. 20, 1911
Earthquake Felt Here
Delphos people experienced another earthquake shock at about 1 a.m. Tuesday. Although little damage was reported in this vicinity, the quake was more intense than the one a week ago.
Many persons were awakened this morning by the sharp trembling of their beds. Windows rattled for several minutes and dishes rattled on shelves. Several reports of bottles and glasses being overturned were told by Delphos people.
Rev. Fr. J. S. Joliat, seismologist of John Carroll University at Cleveland, believes that last night’s quake was due to a slight readjustment of the earth’s crust in the neighborhood of Bellefontaine. The region was covered b y the glaciers some 25,000 years ago. Fr. Joliat looks for similar readjustments in the future with accompanying quakes but does not expect them to be any more severe than that of last night.
Earthquakes are somewhat of a novelty for Delphos people, as there have only been comparatively few in the history of the city. Although the quakes have not been severe here, they give residents an experience which is not soon forgotten.
Delphos Herald, Mar. 9, 1937
Gold of Lost Vessel
Major R.A. Logan, manager of the mapping division of the Fairchild aerial surveys, left New York for a treasure hunt in Nova Scotia, which he says may net him at least $100,000 and perhaps $2,000,000.
The treasure was the cargo of a French “pay ship” which fell into the hands of the English, off Cape Breton island about the year 1700.
After various vicissitudes the crew of the French vessel managed to sink the vessel in Canadian lakes, but were prevented by the English from returning to claim it. All trace of it was eventually lost and repeated searches failed to give a hint of its whereabouts.
Major Logan discovered last winter, in an old Spanish narrative, an account of how the treasure passed into the hands of a Spanish privateer. The captain of this vessel hanged the Frenchman who gave him the information, but the captain was prevented by the French from salvaging the treasure. He left the records for his son, however, and it is this record which Major Logan is using as his guide.
Knowing the country well, Major Logan, last spring bought up all the land on which the treasure can possibly be hidden if the Spanish records are accurate.
“All I have to do now is dig,” said the major just before his departure,” and “I’m so sure I’ve got the right dope I’m willing to spend five months digging. I’ll have two laborers helping me.”
Aug. 19, 1926
|Last Updated on Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:44 AM|