DELPHOS — The Delphos Senior Citizen’s Center is offering Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE), which is sponsored by the IRS and is free tax preparation assistance for individuals with moderate to low incomes. The call center is currently scheduling appointments for the end of March through April 8.
The volunteer assistance will help adults with the process of preparing and filing their taxes, ensuring they receive all applicable tax credits and deductions. The result is more discretionary income for everyday essentials, such as food and housing.
Shirley Jarman and Ron Hefner, who received extensive training from H&R Block, will be in charge of the “intake” portion of the program, which requires the following documentation:
- Copies of 2011 tax returns;
- Earnings statements from 2012, including W2’s, 1099R or 1099B, investment income, Social Security;
- Identification information; Social Security card, photo I.D., birth certificate for person taxes are being prepared for;
- Banking information including routing and checking account numbers if using direct deposit; and
- Power of Attorney (POA); 2 copies for those who are not capable of being present. For example, a relative living in a care facility.
To read the rest of this article please subscribe or sign in