|It was News Then|
|Thursday, February 07, 2013 2:23 PM|
One Year Ago
• Landeck Altar Rosary Society met recently with a mass celebrated by the Rev. John Hanacsek. Election of officers will be held at the next meeting on April 5. The committee will include chairwomen Lois Luersman and Pat Rode assisted by Laura Reynolds, Janet Pohlman, Gertie Ernst, Elaine Rode, Janet Bonifas and Dot Geise.
• What started as a decent ballgame turned out to be a rout. St. John’s fast breaking style melted any hopes for Parkway to pull off an upset on a bitterly cold Friday night, as the Blue Jays rolled to a 110-55 Midwest Athletic Conference victory.
• Today’s Home Demonstration Club met recently at the Delphos Public Library with Myra Philpott, Allen County home demonstration agent, in charge of the program. In a contest held, Mrs. Minor Truesdale was most successful. The club will meet again at 8 p.m. next Monday in the home of Mrs. Joseph Liebrecht, northwest of Delphos, with Mrs. Truesdale as co-hostess.
• The Pilgrim Boosters Class of the Pilgrim Holiness Sunday School held its February meeting Tuesday night in the home of Marilet McClung, South Jefferson Street. Vice president Florence Kohorst, presided over the meeting. Mary Purdy led in prayer and Eugenia Teman read the 23rd Psalm. Poems about Abraham Lincoln were read by Lula Rigdon and Mrs. McClung.
• A group of Jefferson basketball players spent a most enjoyable day Saturday at Wittenberg College at Springfield. The boys attended a physical education demonstration at the college gymnasium. Those who made the trip were David Morgan, Richard Newton, Ronald Ridenour, Omar Erickson, Eugene Osting, James Deffenbaugh, Don Foster, Dale Van Meter, H. Dunlap, Mericle, R. Dunlap, Nile Strayer, Supt. E. W. Bell and daughter, Eloise, Principal and Mrs. Lawrence Schmidt and daughter, and Mrs. Frank Kurth and son.
• The Northwestern Ohio chapter of the American Institute of Banking will sponsor a Washington’s Birthday dance on Feb. 21 at the Aragon ballroom in Lima. Robert Rozelle, of the Delphos Commercial Bank, is a member of the board of governors of the chapter. According to present plans, a Lima orchestra will be furnishing the music for the dance.