|It Was News Then|
|Wednesday, January 30, 2013 2:02 PM|
One Year Ago
• Tim Feathers has been promoted to sergeant and assumed the duties of patrol division supervisor for the Powell, Wyo., Police Department. Tim is the son of John and Edna Feathers of Delphos. He is a 1977 graduate of Jefferson High School and graduated from Lima Technical College in 1979. He received his bachelor’s degree of science in criminal justice from Bowling Green State University in 1980.
• Jefferson Lady Wildcats caught a visiting Bluffton team napping. Through three periods the ‘Cats had hung tough to the state-ranked Pirates. Enter the fourth round. These girls finally showed their style of play and beat the Pirates 50-48. Leading scorer for the Wildcats was Beth Druckemiller with 12, Angie Gonyea added 11 while Cheryl Kortokrax chipped in with 10.
• Students of Columbus Grove High School selected Charles “Cork” Huffman and Sheila Wesli as school sweethearts to reign at the annual Sweethearts Ball to be held Feb. 9. Senior sweethearts selected are Larry Tabler and Karen Klinger, juniors are Don Hamilton and Denise Sakemiller, sophomore sweethearts are James Wright and Marguerite Stechschulte and freshmen are Steve Burger and Sherri Jamison.
• Delphos St. John’s Blue Jays continued their winning ways Tuesday night, posting their eighth consecutive win by drubbing the Big Green of Ottoville, 97-61, at the local gym. In spite of the lopsided score, one of the Big Green players, Jim Wannemacher, held scoring honors for the evening, sinking 12 fielders and 13 gift shots for a total of 37 points.
• The Old Time ‘Coon Hunters Association will hold a meeting Sunday afternoon at Fanger’s Mayflower for the purpose of completing plans for the first annual ‘Coon Banquet of the club. The ‘Coon Banquet will be served at Fanger’s Mayflower Feb. 3. It is announced that chicken will be served to those who do not care for roast ‘coon.
• Mrs. Samuel Roberts presided at the monthly meeting of the Woman’s Home and Foreign Missionary Society of the Presbyterian Church conducted at the church parlors Friday afternoon. Mrs. Earl Scott presented the prayer topics. Mrs. Roberts named the following committees: nominating committee, Mrs. E. W. Bell, Anna Humphreys and Mrs. Albert Evans; and executive committee, Mrs. Scott, Mrs. Berry and Mrs. Oscar Shellabarger.