July 24, 2014

Subscriber Login



Window to the Past - Theater buys new organ PDF Print E-mail
Monday, January 28, 2013 11:34 AM

 

F.H. Staup returned from a business trip of several days to Chicago. His visit to the Windy City was with a view to purchasing an organ for his new theater in this city. Mr. Staup will contract for an excellent instrument to be installed here.

The new theater will probably be completed early this summer. It will give Delphos once of the finest theaters in any city of this size in the state and one of the very best in this vicinity.

Mr. Staup states that he has not yet selected a name for the new movie playhouse.

Delphos Herald, Jan. 27, 1922

—————

 

Notice to Stove Storage Patrons

 

As space we formerly used for stove storage is taken up with other stock, we will be unable to store any stoves this year. If we can be of any assistance in moving stoves for you, we will gladly do it.

Delphos Hardware Co.

Delphos Herald, Apr. 8, 1912

—————

Ad

Ice Consumers - Attention

We are compelled to advance the price of ice to 40c per 100 lbs., being an advance of 5c per 100 lbs. The higher cost of fuel, labor, horse-keep and machinery repairs forces us to do this. The new price is the same as paid by families in neighboring cities for ice and you have the advantage of getting the PURE DISTILLED WATER ICE. This ice is very expensive to manufacture on account of the excessive amount of lime, magnesia and other minerals in our water. Also the maintaining of our delivery service is very expensive as we have to feed horses and pay men for 12 months and only use them five months.

We are anxious to assure you that we are compelled to watch every point closely to make this branch of our business show a profit. We have tried it for five years now, and know.

The price for the Coupon Books for this year are 500 lb. books $2.00. 1000 lb. books are $4.00.

In paying drivers, make him stamp your book with his rubber stamp and date - no other mark will be recognized.

The 5c ice business has been a great loss to us — in the future we will not sell less than 10c worth, 25 lbs.

The Steinle Brewing

& Ice C.

Phone 91

Delphos Herald, Apr. 8, 1912

—————

Louis Eysenbach of Evergreen Farm Passes Away

A beautiful life, full of inspiration, closed Friday evening at 7 o’clock, when Louis Eysenbach of Evergreen farm, just east of Delphos, passed peacefully away of an extended illness from heart trouble.

He was one of nature’s noblemen, in the truest sense of the expression. He was a strong advocate of the simple life, and correct living. The beneficial effect of his philosophy of living was apparent in his every action, in his home and in dealing with his fellowmen.

Mr. Eysenbach was the first to introduce into Allen County the famous Holstein cattle, of which he had for years, a small but fine herd.

He was united in marriage to Minnie Winkleman, who was a school teacher in Cincinnati. Their married life was blessed by ten children who grew to manhood and womanhood in Delphos, admired and respected by all. Nine of this number with Mrs. Eysenbach survive the husband /father. They are: Mrs. W.P. Hofferbert of Gadsden, Alabama; Ernest Eysenbach, of Long Branch, New Jersey; Miss Ella, at home; Miss Doris, at home; Mrs. W.C. Schindel of Hinton, Iowa; Oscar of Tulsa, Oklahoma; Wendel at home; Miss Liana of Gadsden, Alabama; and Miss Henrietta, at home. Louis died several years ago at age 22 years. Five grandchildren also survive him.

Delphos Herald, Apr. 22, 1911

—————

Landeck Entertainment

The young people of Landeck have arranged to give an entertainment in that town Tuesday evening, Feb. 16. The play is entitled “A Cyclone of Fun, a Makeup of Farmers, or a Bouquet of Clowns.” The will be given in the old church building. Everybody is cordially invited to come and enjoy four hours of solid fun. The play will be for the benefit of the new Catholic Church at Landeck. Admission, adults 25 cents; children, 15 cents.

Delphos Herald, Feb. 1904

—————

Happy Delphos

There is not a town in Ohio or elsewhere the size of Delphos where so little crime is committed as in this town. No murders, no bank robberies, no rapes, no house breaking, no pickpockets, no riots, no sensations, and very few drunks. In fact, it is a difficult matter to scare up a sensation of any great magnitude. Everybody is in good humor, the streets full of smiling girls, boys and men busy all the day, merchants up to date and doing lots of business, a beautiful park, good streets for bicycles and water works and telephone nearly realized.

Delphos Herald, Sept. 1895

—————

Interest Fund for One Hundred Years

One hundred years ago Benjamin Franklin left a fund of $5,000, which he directed should be put at interest and left to accumulate for a century. When that time had come around, according to the directions of the old philanthropist, half of the money should go to some good public purpose for the benefit of the people of Boston. The other half was to be put aside, as in the first case, for another century, at the end of which time, the State and the City should be equal partners in the fund. Now, arising from the $5,000, there is an aggregate of near $700,000, half of which the trustees will use to build and equip an industrial training school, one of the best uses to which the money can be put. The board of alderman and three ministers of the oldest religious societies in Boston are the trustees. Next week they are coming to Washington to learn as much as they can about the manual school here, and they will visit nearly all the large cities on the same mission.

Delphos Herald, March, 1895

—————

M.H. Westrich, Owner

A deal was closed Wednesday whereby M.H. Westrich becomes the owner of the Jacob Schaffer block on Main Street, now occupied by the purchaser. Mr. Westrich has not enough room in the building to accommodate his stock and will soon build an addition at the rear of the main building, probably as far back as the canal. This will necessitate the tearing away of several low frame buildings to make room for the improvements.

Delphos Herald, Jan. 1904

—————

Northern Ohio Will Get New Freight House

It is seldom that we have the pleasure of imparting such an agreeable piece of news to our readers as we do this.

We are now at liberty to give the particulars so far as they have advanced. The Northern Ohio is engaged in erecting new depots at various places along the line but the finest and most commodious of them all will be built in Delphos. The Flanagan and Best properties at the corner of Washington and East First streets, opposite the old depot, will be bought, the deeds now being in the hands of the company to prepare. Each of the properties will bring $1,300 for the owners and Master Mechanic Marshal informs us that there will be no hitch in the proceeds.

As the transfer of the properties are made, the old buildings will be moved from the grounds, and the work commenced on the new depot. The exact plans as to size and material to be used are not completed. The old depot and store house on the company’s ground will be torn down and a commodious freight house erected. The track will make a sharper curve from First street and the terminal changed from the present place. At last the hopes of Delphos are to be realized and Calvin S. Brice will fulfill his promise.

Delphos Herald, Nov. 1895

 

Last Updated on Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:44 AM
 

Add comment


Security code
Refresh