|It Was News Then|
|Thursday, December 13, 2012 1:19 PM|
One Year Ago
• Members of Guiding Hands chapter Ohio Child Conservation League, met recently at the home of Jan Odenweller. Co-hostesses were Diane Hetrick and Alice Birkmeier. Devotions were given by Diana Hetrick. A Christmas party will be held Dec. 15 in the home of Mary Alice Davey. Marie Swick and Marilyn Wagner will serve as co-hostesses.
• St. John’s will have a combination of extremes when it opens its wrestling season Saturday in the Wayne Trace Invitational. There will be five starters returning from last year’s 10-4 team to go along with three or four freshmen who will be seeing their first varsity experience. Members of the varsity team are Josh Dickman, Keith Kramer, Shawn Kimmet, Mike Kramer, Larry Betz, Don Vonderwell, Mike Martin, Rick Vonderwell, Nathan Wannemacher, Dan Vonderwell, Jim Merschman, Jeremy Wannemacher, John Zalar, Randy Holdgreve, Chuck Klima and Dan Place.
• The Christmas flower show staged by the Green Thumb Garden Club Tuesday afternoon at the House of Vogts was a fairyland of holiday themes. Tri-color ribbons for the best in each of the four classes were awarded to Mrs. Leslie Peltier – 3, and Mrs. Henry Fettig – 1. Several winning exhibits are on display this week at the Delphos Public Library.
• After the regular business session held Monday evening in the Eagles club rooms the members of the auxiliary held their annual Christmas party. Special door prizes were awarded to Evelyn Wrocklage, Alice Roberts and Donna Reinemeyer. A holiday theme was carried out in the club room and each member was presented a noval Christmas tree as a favor.
• Through the untiring efforts of the members of the Delphos Mothers Study Club, a large group of local underprivileged children were guests at a Christmas party given Friday afternoon. The party was made possible by proceeds of the concert given by Bluffton College choir under the Study Club sponsorship and by the Capitol Theatre who held a toy matinee. The children who attended the matinee presented toys as admission and these toys were distributed at the Christmas party.
• Mrs. C. F. Miller was installed as Worthy Matron of the Delphos chapter of the Order of Eastern Star Friday evening at a chapter meeting conducted in the Masonic Temple. The incoming Worthy Matron presented her officers with corages. Mrs. Miller, Avanell Davies, Junior Past Matron, the installing marshall and the installing officers were presented with gifts.