September 3, 2014

Subscriber Login

St. John’s girls roll past Hornets PDF Print E-mail
Monday, October 07, 2013 12:06 AM


Staff Writer

This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


DELPHOS — It took the St. John’s girls soccer team about 30 minutes to get going Saturday morning against Cory-Rawson.

Once the Lady Blue Jays did, they rolled to a 5-1 victory over the Lady Hornets at the Annex.

“We haven’t had a varsity match for almost two weeks; we had a scrimmage against New Knoxville that we dominated but it’s not the same level. It took us time to get adjusted today,” St. John’s coach John Munoz said. “Once we did, we were fine. We made an adjustment in our formation late in the first half and that did the trick.”

Neither team really had a look at their respective goal in the first 9-plus minutes.

The Hornets (5-6-4) had the first opening, though it wasn’t much of one: a 40-yarder by freshman Nicki Biery that junior goalkeeper Samantha Wehri (1 save vs. 3 shots on-goal) gobbled up. That was the visitors’ only try the first half.

The Jays (5-7-2) had their first real effort at 22:04 when senior Lindsey Warnecke fired from 17 yards but a defender knocked it out of bounds.

The Jays were getting started. At 20:40, junior Elizabeth Winhover let loose from 20 yards but senior goalkeeper Abby Schultz (5 saves vs. 16 shots) got the save.

At 11:51, senior Madison Kreeger had a good chance from 12 yards but the keeper first deflected the ball and finally gathered it in.

At 9:34, Kreeger got free again from 20 yards on the right wing but the keeper came out enough to force a curled shot just wide left.

With 7:09 left in the half, the Hornets were called for a handling in the box, resulting in a penalty kick. Kreeger went low and hard left to a 1-0 edge.

At the 5:17 mark, off an assist from freshman Maria Giambruno-Fuge, freshman Carleigh Ankerman fired a 19-yarder from the right wing that went over the top of Schultz and into the twine for a 2-0 edge.

It took 1:48 of the second half to expand that lead to 3-0. Ankerman fired from 19 yards on the left wing; the ball ricocheted off a defender and into the net.

The Hornets had their second shot on-goal at the 26-minute mark but sophomore Becca Schutz was over the crossbar from 16 yards.

The Jays kept attacking, especially Kreeger getting numerous chances. At 15:23, she made it 4-0 from the left post. She shot a 17-yarder around a defender that might have been deflected just enough to handcuff the keeper.

The Jays finalized their scoring at 6:49. Ankerman fired a 23-yarder that the keeper deflected but couldn’t quite control; Kreeger was in the right place at the right time to knock the orb in from point-blank range.

The Hornets, who just got senior Miki Kussmaul back but still had four players unable to go, saw Kylee Desgranges carried off the pitch with an injury at 4:23.

At 2:27, the Blue Jays were called for handling in the box, with Brooklyn Shoemaker getting the opportunity. She went high and to the right for the rally.

“The girls are starting to understand the game a lot better,” Munoz added. “They are making adjustments on their own, as well as giving us feedback as to what adjustments we need to make as individuals and as a team. They are becoming better at organizing things; that’s what we like to see.”

The Jays host Ottoville at 5 p.m. Tuesday.

“We came out much more ready to play today. We stayed with them for about 30 minutes but we had an unfortunate call against us and they got a PK,” Rawson coach Mark Schwemer noted. “For us, we tend to get on our heels and get down when things go against us. We got Miki back and that definitely helped us having an extra sub.”

Cory-Rawson visits Liberty-Benton Wednesday.


Add comment

Security code